Thursday, March 6, 2008

Semi Pro

Chad says...

Oh Will Ferrell, you make me laugh. I was up in the air on what to think about this movie. I knew I wanted to see it b/c Ferrell was playing that character that he plays that does outlandish stuff that amuses me. You know the one. The guy that's been in all his movies except Stranger Than Fiction and Bewitched.

There was an unusual amount of cursing in this movie which kind of bothered me. Cussing just to get a laugh is really only good for one or two go's. They re-baited that hook about 30 times in this flick.

There's not a ton of moments that stick in my memory banks except the poker game where Will Arnett's character pulls a gun on Tim Meadows character. The character names are unimportant, just know that when you see that scene it will be a good time.

Also, while I laughed a lot during this movie there was one line that made me cry for like 5 min. Then I'd repeat it in my head and laugh some more. Ferrell had gotten knocked out at one point in the movie during a game and the other players on the team picked him up to carry him off of the court. It was something like, "Jackie Moon's teammates doing just an aweful job at supporting his neck and spine." as his head and neck flopped all over the place. Hilarious.

Chad's rating, "Will Ferrell is this generation's skinnier Chris Farley and he makes me laugh. This movie is no exception!"

TJ Replies...
I didn't have high hopes for this movie. Let's face it, Blades of Glory was a big time bust. Boring. But, Semi-Pro exceeded my expectations, and I was happily entertained for 90 minutes (it's best that these type of movies run under the 100 minute mark).

Like Chad, there's not too much that just sticks out in my mind, other than the "Jive Turkey" scene Chad references. It was the best of being uncomfortable, yet hilarious.

I think the movie will get better and better with each viewing, as stuff remains in your brain. That's what I call movie shelf life, and this has it in spades.

For now, that's all I got. TJ's Rating "This ain't no Jive Turkey. It's good for a laugh with the guys, but don't expect too much."

No comments: