Thursday, July 3, 2008

Hancock

TJ Says...I didn't really know what to expect with this movie. On the one hand, it's a superhero movie, which I AM IN for. Also, I'm in for Will Smith, Jason Bateman and Charlize. On the other hand, NONE of the trailers really piqued my interest (other than the jailhouse scene with the shoving the head up the rear of another inmate...should I be concerned that that piqued my interest?).
All that being said, it was just kind of blah. There were funny moments, and I think Jason Bateman is GREAT, and funny, but that's all it was, moments (I do like the Arrested Development reunion of Charlize and JB...always pro anything related to AD). The action was very herky-jerky (not to get too technical), it just didn't seem to flow well. The dialogue...eh, pretty bad.

I think JB was the highlight of the movie...very funny one liners, but the rest was just OK.

TJ's Review: It's good enough to rent, but not before several other movies that may be available.

Chad says: What a shame - I really liked this movie. We've seen so many stinking superhero movies that it's nice when one comes along and breaks the comic book mold (also see: My Super-Ex Girlfriend, which while funny, wasn't this good).

One thing is for sure - they sure didn't take their time with this movie. They set something up quick and didn't spend a lot of energy with exposition. It only hurt when they needed a big payoff - like the huge twist in this movie.

I had a hard time not liking Will Smith in this movie like it seemed they wanted me to at first. He did a good job trying to make me but his past movies just lead you to like him in everything he does. Jason Bateman is just fun to watch. He plays basically the same guy every time but I love that guy. And yeah, if you haven't seen the TV show Arrested Development - rent every season on DVD. It's hilarious.

I thought this was a cool movie. I liked the fact that it wasn't Ironman or The Hulk or anything else with Marvel's name on it. It gave them the freedom to do whatever the heck they wanted and have the freedom to tell a fun story without you already knowing the basic premise and they did a good job of it in my eyes.

Chad's Review - definitely see it just to inspire you to rent Arrested Development to see some more Jason Bateman action.

No comments: