Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Dollhouse

TJ Says...I didn't expect much from this show. It's a new show on Friday night's that stars Eliza Douchcu (Spelling highly incorrect). It's marketed on the backend of Terminator, and I'm in on that show...so let's give dollhouse a go.

Basically, It's a remake of My Own Worst Enemy. Eliza has her brain wiped clean every time the man has ended their use of her. Then she is a blank slate. Then, when they need her for a mission, they can program her with all the appropriate information and memories, and she can be an expert at whatever. Then, when it's over, wipe her brain clean again. In the pilot, she's a kidnap negotiator, negotiating with bad guys to get a kid back, without going through the authorities.

I really didn't think it was terrible, which is good enough for me. I was entertained by the plot of her actual mission, but irritated by those that she worked for. They were kinda just pissy a lot.

TJ's Review...I'll watch it again. It's better than anything else not named "Psych" on Friday nights. I've definately watched worse (Lost).

Chad Says...Joss Whedon created this show. That's reason enough for me to watch it. He was the guy behind Buffy the Vampire Slayer (not the reason I like him b/c I never watched that show) which is why Eliza is in this show. The reason I love the creator is b/c he also created a show called Firefly. It only lasted one season but it was one of the coolest shows I've ever watched. Go rent that first (only) season. Then go rent a movied called Serenity. After Firefly got cancelled they made the movie which was basically his idea of the entire second season crammed into one 2 hour movie and it's one of the best sci fi movies I've seen. I'm a huge fan of both of those.

Moving on. The pilot was okay. They did a bunch of setup of the main character giving background and what not to help us understand why she's where she is and how this "Dollhouse" is going to work. Along with the fact that it's a super secret organization and they already have one guy that's trying to unravel it's secret (behind his bosses back!). It's a rare thing when a pilot is fantastic and it wasn't the case for this show but I'm going to keep watching.

I was afraid when I heard Eliza was the main character b/c I don't like her very much but she's actually good in this (read: not irritating). She seems smooth and can handle all the action they're going to throw at her. A pet peeve of mine is throwing a hot chick in a show that has no action training and all the action scenes are quick cuts that don't show much b/c SHE'S A GIRL and can't hack it (just kidding ladies). She seems more like a Jennifer Garner from Alias. Also a great show (if you only watched the first two seasons).

So with Terminator and Dollhouse on Friday I'm a happy camper. These shows should nicely compliment each other and i'm already a fan of Terminator. ACTION!

Chad's Review...In on the creator alone but i'm hoping the show lives up to my hype of him :)

1 comment:

trey kazee said...

1) don't forget: it was FOX that canceled firefly

2) what's up with casting that kid from "welcome to the captain" as the main technical guru?

i'll give it a chance. it was mildly interesting, but i'm not holding my breath.

of course, this is coming from someone who watched "welcome to the captain", so take that for what you will.