Monday, February 9, 2009

Taken

TJ Says...I was highly anticipating this movie since I saw the trailer with Liam Neeson on the phone with his teenage daughter, and she gets kidnapped. Then the kidnapper gets on and Neeson threatens the kidnapper! Awesome. I AM IN.

So I convince my wife to attend with me. Hello date night. This movie was fast paced with lots of Liam kicking tail. By the end of the movie, I seriously thought that Liam could take Jason Stathem in an MMA bout. Get those 2 in the octogon, and if JS has kidnapped LN's daughter, watch out. Maybe that could be the plot of Taken 2: Taken Real Hard. I digress.

I was thoroughly entertained in this movie. It was fast paced, and kept me interested throughout. It was very intense, not really scary or a thriller, just intense. The only part I didn't like was the daughter (who was 17) acted like she was 13 most of the movie. It was uncomforatble to watch sometimes. But for sure that ass kickings Liam hands out make up for it, big time.

Oh, one other warning. The previews for this movie were terrible. The worst of which was "Crank 2", another Jason Stathem vehicle (when you're in the industry, you can use terms like "vehicle" to mean movie staring a certain someone). I hope I warm up to Crank 2 because I want to see it, but that trailer was wretched.

TJ's Review...Take the wife and go see it. Awesome. If you have a daughter (as I do), it'll convince you to never let her go to Europe.

Chad Says...Liam Neeson is a bad-a. Straight up. I think I said this in another review but I love movies where the main guy is really good at something and displays it in full effect. He is a "Preventor" in this movie but when something can't be prevented he turns into a convincer that the bad guy should have allowed him to prevent his deed. Yikes.

Usually when a trailer is as awesome as this one was, the movie doesn't live up to it (see Wanted) but man on man, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time eating this action up!

His daughter - who was Boone's sister in the first season of Lost, yeah I research, so what? Anyway, she was borderline terrible in this movie. But who cares! Liam Neeson was awesome. Remember Commando? Arnold's daughter is kidnapped so he straps on some boots and a knife and ices every mofo that had anything to do with it? This reminded me of that. LN took on every bad guy single handedly but this time I bought it. Trapped in a room with 6 dudes with guns yet he is the only one breathing at the end of the scene? Sold.

Chad's Review...Be my Valentine, Taken. You had me at "Good luck."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We saw it and it was pretty good. I was surprised by Liam Neeson's ability to knock the crud out of people, but I was quickly reminded that he was in Star Wars. Sorry to all you Star Wars fanatics out there that I forgot it. I agree with you, Chad, the daughter needed acting lessons. She was a little too giddy at the beginning, but I thought she was pretty good when she was finally found.