Monday, June 23, 2008

Get Smart

Chad says...Man ole man. I've been waiting for this movie to come out since I was in grade school. I used to watch this show every day during the summer. It would come on right after the Frugal Gourmet. I bid you peace.

If you have watched every single episode of this TV show as I have, you will love this movie even more. They brought back characters from the TV show just as a special nod to those of us that loved the show. I mean Hymie? Come on!

Having Max start off as an analyst trying to become an agent was a little off putting since in the show he was a veteran agent and that was the reason he knew-it-all instead of being a boring analyst that studied every piece of chatter he heard. But I got over that quickly.

I thought Steve Carell was perfect as Max. Anne Hathaway as 99 was terrific. I liked the Chief but he never got mad enough at Max. 13 - the agent that was always hiding in an awkward place and was really lonely and just wanted Max to stick around and talk to him was funny. I just wish they would have used that more. It seemed like a waste of Bill Murray's time doing it just once. My only problem with the casting was having Zod from Superman (wink at TJ) play Ziegfried. He wasn't crazy or German enough. Deliverying the line, "Schtaker! This is Kaos. We don't 'ka-frickin-boom" here wasn't nearly as funny with this dry dude delivering it. Other than that I loved the movie. Maybe it's b/c I worshipped the TV show but still. Terrific.

Chad's review - If you think you like this movie more than me then I'll challenge you to a duel.

TJ Says...I had REALLY low expectations for this movie. I Thought it would be The Office meats James Bond. And it wasn't. IT was so much better and funnier than that. It was WAY better than the Love Guru.

I thought Steve Carrell and Anne Hathaway were great together. I enjoyed their shenannigans and my wife got most of the jokes, so even better. But the star of this movie, by far, was Agent 23, or "The Rock". Basically, I think he's the star of any movie he's ever been in. The Rock can bring it.

TJ's review...My wife and I both REALLY liked it, so go see it. I'm not saying you'll get any after, but laughing together is almost as fun. Right?

No comments: